[Qgis-user] Showstopping bugs (crossposted from Quantum Gis Forum)

Mats Elfström mats.elfstrom at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 04:17:17 PDT 2008

Hi all!

I am still new to the world of QGis so forgive me if I do not
understand how things are set up.
That said, I would like to point out three serious problems that I
have encountered during an ongoing attempt to put QGis to practical
use.
One I have already reported but I will mention it again here.
If it's of any consequence, all work is being done with geotiffs and
shape files. And I refer to the 0.11.0 Metis edition.

1 The Style file function is useless. It stores the path and layer
name to the layer you are working on, thus ruining the complete
project if you try to apply a style file to another layer. This cannot
really be considered a bug but rather bad programming and must be
dealt with.

2 On opening an attribute table for editing, QGis 'encounters an error
and has to close'. Not always, but frequently enough to cause a lot of
irritation and data loss if there are pending geometry edits. This
must be a common enough condition to be observed by others, but I have
found no mention of a known bug to this description.
Please if anybody has had the same problem, and found the cause or a
workaround, please respond.

3 Screen digitizing is severely impeded by a condition where the
screen under the digitized line is not redrawn, but instead creates a
white rectangle with the digitizing line diagonally across. This bug I
have found in the bug archive, marked as 'fixed' but I can tell you,
it is not fixed. The problem is intermittent but frequent enough to
hinder efficient work and to cause irritation.

As you see, these problems or bugs apply to very common work
situations, and must have been observed at once by any user attempting
to edit an attribute table or trying to screen digitize on top of a
raster image.

So how does this project work? Who monitors and evaluates reported
bugs? Who solves them and how are the fixes posted?
Who is responsible for testing the fixes?
I am no developer, but an advanced GIS user, and I need QGis to do
what is expected.
I can test and evaluate work in progress, but do not aspire to code or anything.