[Qgis-user] Newwbie Question re updating shapefiles

Miner wayne.murray at medicareaustralia.gov.au
Mon Sep 15 17:44:29 PDT 2008

HI

Please forgive the elementary nature of this question. I shall try and
explain it as best I can.
I have a shape file of a number of states and the zip codes polygons that
are to be found in those states. In another file I have local authorities
that correspond to a number of zip codes. For example let us say a state is
comprised of 20 zip codes (number 1 - 20) and the state is divided into 4
local authorities - north east (zip 1-5); south east (zip (6-10); north west
(11-15) and south west (16-20). Now I have a number of variables associated
with each local authority area and I would like to display the shape file of
the state with the areas identifed as which local authority they are in and
with the associated variables available.

I am not concerned if the polygons are "disolved" into 4 larger polygons (as
outlined in the example given)

I hope I have been able to explain the problem I face.

Thanks

Miner