[Qgis-user] Spam

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at mapforge.com.au
Mon Aug 31 00:44:01 PDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-08-31 at 08:24 +0200, Werner Macho wrote:
> No Spam here on the list AFAIK
> Probably you get the spam by accident? Some spammer would have guessed
> your email address?
> I dont know - but I didn't get SPAM here for a very long time ..
> (but maybe I overlooked something)
>
> is the [Qgis-user] included in the subject? If not the SPAM you got is
> definitely not from the list ..
>
> regards
> Werner
>
> > The spam I've gotten is stuff for male enhancement pills and the
> > like.  The emails don't say that they specifically came from the
> > list.  It's just that I don't have this email posted anywhere on the
> > web, and I haven't used it but to email people on the Qgis list.  So I
> > can't figure any other place it could have come from.

Couple of possibilities:

* Someone subscribed to this list has a compromised PC (actually,
there's probably quite a few that fit this description ;-) and has email
addresses being harvested from their address book/inbox

* There is a bot subscribed to the list that is harvesting addresses
(also quite possible).

Solution: Get a mail client that can do better filtering.

HTH,
Tim Bowden