[Qgis-user] create a shapefile tile index from a boundingbox list

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Dec 3 01:08:37 PST 2009

maning sambale wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a csv file containing a list of topographic maps with bounding
> box coordinates like this:
> sheet no, upper left coordinates (lon/lat), lower left coordinates
> (lon/lat), lower right coordinates (lon/lat), upper right coordinates
> (lon/lat)
> 3631-I,7,121.5,7,122,6.5,121.5,6.5,121.5
>
> I want to convert the text file into a shapefile polygon box.  In the
> past I used delimited text plugin converting the four corners as
> separate records.  Then digitize a polygon (snapping to the point).
> Any other way to do this in QGIS?

Using a spreadsheet and formula or some python etc. you can easily turn
that into GML, KML or WKT. If you do GML or KML you just copy and past
out to a text file. If you do WKT import it into spatialite or postgis
and run SQL to convert it. Or I think with WKT in the csv you can use
ogr2ogr to convert it to any of the other formats using the VRT method
http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_vrt.html

I don't know of any direct way in QGIS to do this yet but many people
have been talking about it, and it's been lurking on the bottom of my
list for years.

See "Connect the dots" from a few weeks ago on the mailing list.

Alex