[Qgis-user] Does QGIS Support WMS Tile Service?

Bob Bruce Bob.Bruce at pobox.com
Thu Dec 3 04:52:12 PST 2009

I found that I was unable to connect to the Onearth NASA WMS server for
the global_mosaic visual_bright layer and found that the server was
overloaded and wouldn't serve the image. They recommend that their tile
server be used instead, so I was trying to figure out how to get QGIS
(Mimas 1.3.0 on Vista) to use the Tiled WMS and have been unable to do
this. This service is described on the website:
http://onearth.jpl.nasa.gov/tiled.html - I added the URL:
http://onearth.jpl.nasa.gov/wms.cgi?request=GetTileService to my WMS
connections and when I tried to connect to it, I got this message:

Could not understand the response. The wms provider said:

Could not get WMS capabilities in the expected format (DTD): no
WMS_Capabilities or WMT_MS_Capabilities found

This is probably due to an incorrect WMS Server URL.

Tried URL:
http://onearth.jpl.nasa.gov/wms.cgi?request=GetTileService&SERVICE=WMS&REQUEST=GetCapabilities

Am I doing something wrong?

thanks,