[Qgis-user] adding point vector data to polygon vector data

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Fri Dec 11 11:58:21 PST 2009

Carbonari, Katie (IS) wrote:
> Good afternoon. I'm trying to combine some ASCII data with some shapefiles. So far this mailing list has been very useful in helping me input and display the ASCII data, but I've come across a new problem. The ASCII data I displayed in QGIS is vector point data, while some of my data from the shapefiles is polygon vectors. I want to color each polygon with the value of my point data. So, my shapefile (cell_depth.sh) has all the information for the polygons that make up my unstructured grid. My point data contain the variable I want to graph and I want, instead of a point in the center of each polygon, to have the entire polygon filled so that I can zoom in/out and have the entire domain different colors. Right now, the point data was imported via the Delimited Text Plug-in. Any ideas on how to do this?
>
> Thanks,
> Katie

I would say what you want is a Join by location that will add your point
data information to your polygon layer where the 2 layers intersect.
This is in the ftools plugin (Tools on the menu bar), data management.

Should work if both your points and polygons are imported and saved as
shapefiles. Might work the way you have them now.

Alex