[Qgis-user] alternatives to join attributes

Carbonari, Katie (IS) Katie.Carbonari at ngc.com
Thu Dec 17 06:46:15 PST 2009

Good morning. I have a lot of data I need to visualize in QGIS (142 time steps, each with over 200,000 points). I need a way to quickly and easily load this data in QGIS. All of my data is in separate .csv files (one file per time step). I load each file via the csv plug-in and then use join attributes to connect my csv data to the polygon data that defines my grid. Join attributes takes forever (trying to do 4,000 points took an hour). Any one know of any other, faster way to do this? Or a way to speed up my join attributes? I know 200,000 points is a lot to ask and can easily cut that down a bit, but an hour to do 4000 points seems very slow. At that rate, it would take 3 weeks to load the entire time series into QGIS. I'm running the latest version of QGIS (Mimas) on a Mac OsX.

Thanks,
Katie