[Qgis-user] No module named qgis.core

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Wed Jan 21 08:07:13 PST 2009

Hi Radek,

On Wed, 21. Jan 2009 at 15:04:18 +0100, Rados??aw Pasiok wrote:
> I'm using qgis 1.0.0-4 from _OSGeo4W_ and have difficulties running
> custom python scripts:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<pyshell#0>", line 1, in <module>
>     from qgis.core import *
> ImportError: No module named qgis.core

hm, this is getting annoying.   That's the same problem as with some
grass modules.

Every DLL and/or EXE loaded from a path not being
%OSGEO4W_ROOT%\bin, which is depending on ssleay32.dll and/or
libeay32.dll won't work, when you have a different version of those two
DLLS in %WINDIR%\system32.  For example this affects everything that is
using GDAL16.DLL, which depends on LIBCURL.DLL, which in turn depends on
the 2 DLLs.

AFAIK Windows searches the directory the DLL (or pyd in this case) was
loaded from first, then system32 and after that everything that is in
PATH.

So the solution is to either update the DLLs in system32.  I'm not sure
if that might break other things, which might be depending on the
current version.  Frank Warmerdam is currently looking into this.

Or you can copy the 2 DLLs to every directory where affected DLLs/EXEs
live. In this case %OSGEO4W_ROOT%\apps\Python25\lib\site-packages\qgis
But that's obviously just a workaround.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen E. Fischer         norBIT GmbH               Tel. +49-4931-918175-20

Rheinstrasse 13, 26506 Norden