[Qgis-user] raster map legend

Matthew Landis landis at isciences.com
Fri Jul 3 10:39:20 PDT 2009

John - thanks for the clarification.  It's too bad this is not possible,
as this seems like one of the biggest limitations of QGIS for using
rasters.  I often find it important to know the actual numbers I'm
looking at on the map, and not just the relative values.  Without a
legend, it's impossible to know this.

Does anyone know of impending plans to implement such a thing?

Matt

John C. Tull wrote:
> Alessandro,
>
> This is currently not possible. I have had to make a legend in a
> separate graphics program and add it as an image to the composer
> canvas. You can do just the raster legend by hand and have a vector
> legend built by the composer, then superimpose the raster legend on
> the canvas. This is the best workaround I have found thus far.
>
> Alternatively, you can vectorize your raster and set the colors the
> same. You could then just use a vector layer instead of a raster.
>
> Cheers,
> John
>
> On Jul 2, 2009, at 8:23 AM, alessandro.sarretta at inwind.it wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> is there a way in QGIS to print a map in which you have a complete
>> legend for raster files? I mean, to have different colours for different
>> categories, or a legend with stretched colours?
>> When I add a legend in the map
>> composer, if I have a raster in the map, I only see the name of
>> raster. The
>> same is for the map legend.
>> I'am using QGIS 1.2.0 from OSGeo4W installation, in
>> WindowsXP.
>> Alessandro

Matthew Landis, Ph.D.
Research Analyst