[Qgis-user] KML Consumption

Sampson, David David.Sampson at NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca
Fri Jun 12 09:20:12 PDT 2009

Hey Folks...  Read an older thread
(http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/qgis-user/2008-March/002492.html)
about reading and writing KML....

I noticed that the thread mentioned you can load KML files... fair
enough. So I tried.

And of course because the best practice (IMHO) for this type of service
is to call it from the URL directly instead of always to storing a local
copy I tried to enter the URL...  and no glorry.

So is it fair to conclude the CURRENTLY if you want to consaume KML you
have to download it and then point to it?

If this is the case, then how would people feel about being able to call
a KML like a regular feed, sorta like how this georss feed plugin does
it
(http://qgiscommunitypl.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/qgiscommunitypl/pytho
n/geofeeds/).

The thought is the web feeds and services should be consumed as a
service so you always get the correct data from the source and we move
away from duplication of data and large local storage requirements.

A plugin for KML should not be too hard to produce and maybe we can do
it collaboratively (I'm a python proponent so I would prefer a python
plugin and then a C guru can port it to C later....).

If KML is not worth while to the community then I will move on to some
other OGC spec... maybe WPS?

Cheers