[Qgis-user] Public Repository for plugins...

Borys Jurgiel borysiasty at aster.pl
Mon Jun 15 16:14:30 PDT 2009

Monday 08 of June 2009 22:03:47 Sampson, David napisaƂ(a):
> Maybe those that are interested can have a little thread and come up
> with a temp solutions while the ducks line up...
>
> I would propose sourceforge as that is what I know and I already help
> admin a project on sourceforge.
>
> I would say if we can get three plugin groups working together that is a
> good start.
>
> Any takers?

This is good idea.

The present state of multi-instance plugins I've tried to explain in my previous
post. In general, you can add to your repository two instances of the same
plugin:

  <pyqgis_plugin version="0.1" name="Foo Plugin" >
    <description>Some description</description>
    <homepage>http://foo</homepage>
    <qgis_minimum_version>1.0</qgis_minimum_version>
    <file_name>foo.zip</file_name>
    <author_name>Someone</author_name>
    <download_url>http://some_url/some_dir/foo.zip</download_url>
  </pyqgis_plugin>

  <pyqgis_plugin version="0.2-beta" name="Foo Plugin" >
    <description>Some description</description>
    <homepage>http://foo</homepage>
    <qgis_minimum_version>1.0</qgis_minimum_version>
    <file_name>foo.zip</file_name>
    <author_name>Someone</author_name>
    <download_url>http://some_url/another_dir/foo.zip</download_url>
    <experimental>true</experimental>
  </pyqgis_plugin>

Note that there are two plugins foo.zip. The latter one has higher version
number, but is marked with the optional tag <experimental>. It means, that will
be chosen as the 'best available' for all users allowing experimental plugins.
For those, who didn't enable experimental plugins, the former plugin will be
chosen. Similarly, you can publish one instance for QGIS>=1.0 and another one
for QGIS >=1.1 Just remember to give a higher version for the latter one and
installer choose the highest one if the >=1.1 requirement is fulfilled.

Note that both files are named foo.zip, so you can't put them together to the
main contributed repository, as they all are stored in one directory there. But
you can use the suffix I mentioned in my previous mail:

foo.zip      ----> containing the directory "foo"
foo.beta.zip ----> containing the same directory "foo"

Oh, the main repository doesn't handle the 'experimental' tag yet, AFAIK? But I
hope it will be implemented soon.

Note that there are only two levels of stability: <experimental> or not. It has
been discussed whether we need more and realized that just don't. Please
remember that there are so many authors with different opinions and different
willingness to keep metadata accurate ;) that I found keeping it as simple as
possible reallyu essential :)