[Qgis-user] associate timeseries data with point (layer)

Carson Farmer carson.farmer at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 03:47:22 PDT 2009

Hello Tim,
> Hello,
> often, geographical data has a time component. Some examples:
> * timeseries of water levels at rain gauges within a catchment area
> * development of a population in a town
>
> Is there already a plugin in place which lets the users associate such
> type of feature data to a geographic feature such as a point (showing
> the location of the rain gauge or the city)?
Are you able to store your data in a PostGIS database? If so, you could
certainly have tables of your time series, and tables for your
geographic attributes, and link them together with a common ID or attribute.

> I am not talking of the "normal" GIS attribute table because these refer
> to the geographic attribute data. they normally do not contain a time
> component (4 dimesion).
What I've always done in the past is simply stored the time series as a
series of fields in the attribute table. This only allows you to store a
time series of a single variable in the table, but if that's all you
need it works fine. This is what I do for the majority of my spatial
time-series work when not using PostGIS tables.

Finally, you could certainly do this is R, where you store a time-series
object in the data.frame of the layer. However, this may not be a viable
solution for extremely large layers, as the layer (and data) must fit
into memory.

Cheers,

Carson

--