[Qgis-user] rephrased;. import 3D line into a shapefile?

mtnbiketrail at zzz.com mtnbiketrail at zzz.com
Thu Mar 19 06:39:58 PDT 2009

Thanks for the suggestions. Ultimately, I wanted to have a 3D
visualization using a DEM. I was planning on using UTM. This will take a
lot of thought on my part, being a beginner, so it will take a while to
accomplish. Right now I don't have QGIS GRASS plugin working. So I have
a long way to go. Message: 6 Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 22:46:16 -0500 From:
David Fawcett <david.fawcett at gmail.com> Subject: Re: [Qgis-user]
rephrased;. import 3D line into a shapefile? To: mtnbiketrail at zzz.com,
Qgis-user at lists.osgeo.org Message-ID:
<ed718af50903182046m5301788cv4448695939a3406a at mail.gmail.com>
interesting (fun) problem. I don't have a solution for you, but a few
thoughts on how I would approach it. 1. I am not sure how you want to
display the 3D shape in QGIS. If you are just going to symbolize the
depth by coloring the line segments, you could get by with a 2D
shapefile and an attribute for depth. 2. I would likely write a python
script using the ogr python module to calculate the x,y,z values for
each vertex in your line and then create the shapefile. 3. Instead of
using lat/lon for your spatial reference system, you may want to think
about projecting your original point to a coordinate system like UTM.
This should make your calculations easier. David. On Wed, Mar 18, 2009
at 1:46 PM, <mtnbiketrail at zzz.com> wrote:

> > Okay, let me rephrase the question. I did look at ogr2ogr, csv file import.
> > I have a 3D line, but only the beginning vertex has x,y,z. The line is a
> > survey of a cave, so only the entrance has a latitude, longitude, and z
> > coordinate. The rest are relative to the control point. Any suggestions on
> > how to import that?
> > Tom

Message: 7