[Qgis-user] Why no proper QGis Windows installer yet?

Mats Elfström mats.elfstrom at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 07:18:55 PDT 2009

Hi List!

I take the liberty to start a new thread on this subject. I am currently
having serious trouble using QGis because of the poor Windows support.
I was happily using the second preview when I decided to upgrade to Kore.
Then the trouble began.
As described on the QGis forum, the so-called installer leaves out important
components in the Express installation, and renders an unusable system if an
Advanced installation is attempted.
Why is this so? Open Source should not be restricted to non-windows
operating systems. I think that's unfair, because many users are not at
liberty to choose their operating system.
The front page of the QGis.org site labels QGis *a user friendly Open Source
Geographic Information System*.
That is not true, if installing the program on Windows requires a manual
assembly of bits and pieces from all over, tweaks here and there, with still
no guarantee of a stable and functioning system.
Would anybody care to explain what's going on, and if any improvement is in
sight?

Regards, Mats.E