[Qgis-user] Why no proper QGis Windows installer yet?

G. Allegri giohappy at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 10:38:29 PDT 2009

I've opened various posts too on the problem. Various things are
getting fixed for grass on Windows, as many bugs are coming out on
Vista more then XP, but I think a real solution would come from a deep
grass code refactoring to make it compile with MSVC* . Probably it
would solve many problems (qgis binding, python/wxwidgets, etc.).
I've already launched on a previous post, to grass-dev and
osgeo4w-dev, the proposal to organize a dedicated found raising for
it. If anyone is interested in supporting this initiative, I can share
some of my time (and money) for it...

Giovanni

* this fact has been discussed a lot in the past. I'm not such an
expert developer, but AFAIK, many bugs happen with grass compiled
against MSVC libraries (osgeo4w package) while they don't when built
agains MinGW. 1) MSVC builds better on Windows, 2) all the stuff in
osgeo4w is compiled with MSVC -> probably it would be the best to have
grass compiled with MSVC too!