[Qgis-user] Raster data formats

Agustin Lobo alobolistas at gmail.com
Sat May 16 03:38:17 PDT 2009

The problem is, as I understand it, that Juan is not using Windows but
Linux. And while
ECW&Mrsid support is simply added by
the user to the current binary distribution of qgis
for windows (i.e., see
http://sites.google.com/site/eospansite/qsig-for-windows )
getting the same support for qgis installed from binaries for linux is
simply impossible.
You must go through the much more cumbersome
process of
(1) Compiling gdal with support for ecw and Mrsid
(2) Compiling qgis with that particular gdal

Certainly, not a 5 minutes task (in particular for users who just don't even
know what compiling means...)

So, effectively, regarding qgis, linux users are in disadvantage. Or, in
other
words, for a regular user of qgis, using windows is better. An astonishing
contradiction for gnu software.

The roots of the problem are in gdal, it's true. But the branches are in
qgis
and, after having exchanged messages in the gdal list
http://n2.nabble.com/Tickets-2385-and-2683-(ECW-and-MrSID-plugins)-tt2767156.html#none
I'm convinced that the problem will not be solved unless the communities
behind
programs using gdal get involved.

Agus