[Qgis-user] Genealogy Related

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Sun Sep 13 23:50:09 PDT 2009

Hi Dion,

QGIS has a georeferencer plugin for that purpose: see QGIS manual
(http://download.osgeo.org/qgis/doc/manual/qgis-1.1.0_user_guide_en.pdf) -
p. 122-125 - you need to know the coordinates of individual features (3-5
per map sheet) of the target coordinate system.

You have to register raster images individually though. The gdal_merge
tool (command line) allows to later merge the files into a single file,
once they are georeferenced. See: http://www.gdal.org/gdal_merge.html

It shouldn't matter which operating system you choose. All should be
equally well supported.

Hope this helps to get started,
Andreas

On Mon, September 14, 2009 2:23 am, Houston, Dion A Sr CPT MIL USA TRADOC
wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I apologize if this is a GIS 101 kind of question.  I am slightly above
> neophyte when it comes to GIS.
>
> I am trying to track down where some ancestors of mine lived.  I recently
> acquired JPG’s of old township maps showing my relatives from the
> early-mid 1800’s.  Of course these JPG’s aren’t
geo-rectified, each
> township is in a separate file, and they’re not necessarily north
facing.
> The also have limited features I can identify on modern maps, specifically
> I was attempting to use hydrology, but there are now several reservoirs in
> the area so much of the hydrology has changed.
>
> What I hope to do is to merge several township maps together basically
> like a jigsaw puzzle and use churches to georectify.  I downloaded QGIS
> hoping it would be easy to do so, but it seems like raster layers are tied
> together by coordinate system, so it puts the upper left corners of my
> township maps together and doesn’t allow me to move them.
>
> If someone can tell me what tool(s) will do what I want, and/or how to do
> it in QGIS I’d appreciate it.  I am (as of this week) running a
Mac with
> Windows and Kubuntu running virtually so (practically) any operating
> system will work.  I am currently using GeoRect from FalconView to
> georectify, but I noticed QGIS has that capability as well so I may try
> that.  My preference is to use free or cheap software, as I can’t
justify
> spending hundreds of dollars on Photoshop just to find some old ancestors
> :)
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Dion

Andreas Neumann