[Qgis-user] Projections of Landsat

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Fri Sep 18 06:57:40 PDT 2009

Roi Granot wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm loading Landsat raster image (.tif) and trying to combine it with
> maps I created using GMT (.grd). What's the best way to do this?
> I tried to first change the Landsat projection to mercator (the
> projection I used in GMT) - but the conversion didn't work fine.
You might find better results using GRASS for this. In general the steps
would be:
1- create two GRASS locations, one defined in the source CRS (matching
the Landsat images) and a second in the target CRS,
2- import the Landsat imagery into the first location with r.in.gdal.
3- change to the target location and run r.proj to pull in and reproject
the Landsat image bands.
> Also, how can I get rid of the black area surrounding the oblique
> Landsat scene (which is filling the image where no data exist) so that
> I'll be able to see the background?
Again with GRASS
4- use the r.null model setting the '0' values (black) to NULL. Worked
for me...
5- and finally merge the bands back together with r.composite, and
export back out to a tiff with r.out.tiff
All the above can be done with the GRASS plugin from within QGIS.
--
Micha