[Qgis-user] Help for a Newbie with QGIS and GDAL

Michael Kimmerly mikekimmerly at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 11:31:25 PDT 2010

Hello,

I am a new user to both QGIS and GDAL although I have used QGIS casually for
about a year. Recently I have been working with it much more intensely,
trying to develop some working routines for doing precision agriculture with
QGIS as my primary tool.

I currently have QGIS 1.5 installed. I preferably use a Mac computer - OSX
10.6.3 Snow Leopard although I do have access to Windows computer as well.

My following comments will address my usage on the Mac computer only as that
is where I would prefer to find a solution.

I have been attempting to install and run the GDAL Tools for access to the
routines such as raster clipper and contour.

My problem appears to be with the GDAL installation. Whenever I attempt a
GDAL procedure, I get the error message

"The process failed to start. Either the invoked program is missing, or you
may have insufficient permissions to invoke the program."

I believe I have traced this to be some issue with the bindings of GDAL and
Python. However, I have not been able to find any solution that seems to
address this or that I can understand. I have just yesterday methodically
un-installed and re-installed all of the frameworks as described on
Kyngchaos.com necessary for operation of QGIS with GRASS support. I have the
native (for Mac) Python 2.6.1 installed and I have also installed the most
recent Python 2.6.5. GDAL installed is 1.7.1.

If there are any Mac GDAL/QGIS users out there who can help, I would
certainly appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Michael Kimmerly