[Qgis-user] convert the area from 1 sq degrees to hectare

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Sat Aug 7 04:02:09 PDT 2010

On 08/07/2010 11:31 AM, herman palaquium wrote:
> glad to see you again
>
> as you know that my places at N-E of the year ( please type buol
> indonesia on the google maps) I STAY THERE
>
> i remember that you give me the answer before, but CAN YOU GIVE
> FORMULA HOW TO CONVERT 1 SQ DEG. TO ...... HECTARE ..?
You can *not* just convert degrees to hectares in a Lon/Lat projection.
The rough figures I sent last time were just an inaccurate estimate.
Afterall, as you move north or south towards the poles, the width of 1
degree changes in size.
What you should do is re-project your data to some projected coordinate
reference system. Then units will then most likely be in meters, and you
can calculate areas very simply. I see [1] that Indonesia uses a set of
Transverse Mercator projections. You might chose the one relevant to
your area.

In QGIS:
* you can project a shapefile to another CRS by using the "Save As"
option, and select whatever export CRS you want.
* Rasters can be re-projected using the Raster Tools plugin, gdalwarp tool.

[1]  http://www.spatialreference.org/ref/?search=indonesia

--
Micha

http://surfaces.co.il