[Qgis-user] Announcing ProfileFromLine plugin

Ricardo Filipe Soares Garcia da ricardo.garcia.silva at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 13:53:28 PDT 2010

Hello list

I have uploaded a new python plugin called ProfileFromLine.
This plugin will generate points along lines according to a user
specified interval and will optionally sample loaded raster(s) at each
new point's location.

Each new point will keep all the attributes of its originating line,
plus any raster values that it had been asked to sample. In addition,
every point will have a distinct attribute and also an attribute that
stores the distance along its line since the beginning (the line's
starting point being according to the original digitizing direction).

the new points layer is created using the 'memory' provider, and the
user must manually save it to disk. this seemed like a nice option,
because you can choose your desired format upon saving.

The plugin depends on the shapely python package, so you must have it
installed and accessible on your system. This shouldn't be much of a
problem on linux and windows (it is available on the osgeo4w packages
as well). since I don't have a Mac I wouldn't know how easy it is to
get shapely installed, but I trust it to be just as easy ;)

I hope that it is useful. Please drop me a message through this
mailing list if you have any suggestions.