[Qgis-user] Announcing ChartMaker plugin

Ricardo Filipe Soares Garcia da ricardo.garcia.silva at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 02:37:00 PDT 2010

Hi Paolo, Jacolin, list

>> OK, but wouldn't it be better to merge the two, since they share the
>> same libraries, and have similar scope and look?

Although sharing the use of matplotlib, I don't think the two plugins
share the same scope at all, as I tried to explain in the previous
e-mail (maybe I couldn't express myself the right way).
The purpose of the chartMaker plugin is simply to plot pairs of
attribute fields, giving you a quick but different visualization of
your data.
It seems to me that it is a quite different functionality from what
the statist plugin offers.

>> Users are getting confused by the many similar plugins.

Maybe your point for suggesting merging the two plugins is based on
the fact that they both produce plots. I can understand your point of
view. And I can see that this may become a source of confusion for
users, who are seeing the list of available plugins growing to
infinity. I'd also like to avoid that ;)
I guess there could be some general 'plotting' plugin (or maybe just a
similar menu entry, that all plugins that offered some kind of
plotting could subscribe to) that could incorporate the functionality
of these two plugins and offer more plotting-related tasks. I guess it
would be something like an 'fTools' but for plotting ;)

Maybe Alexander Bruy (the author of statist plugin) has some insight
on this issue.

As for now, the ChartMaker plugin is still very raw, but I am open to
all ideas, even this merging proposal (I admit it seems strange,
functionality-wise, but if it can be better discussed, things can be
sorted)

Thank you for your input