[Qgis-user] Map books

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Aug 26 13:00:23 PDT 2010

  Hi Tom,

Do you mean, you want to generate an atlas, or a serial print?

QGIS doesn't support this out of the box, but it should be somehow
possible with Python scripting. Most of the print composer should be
exposed for Python, so you can place all your map layout elements, such
as scalebar, gridlines, etc. with Python, generate images and then use
something like XSL-FO, or ODF to generate a book out of it.

A serial print would be an interesting future feature though. It would,
for example also be nice if one could specify a linear feature (or group
of selected features), e.g. a freeway or a powerline, and QGIS would
automagically tile and serial print along this feature ... would be nice
to have ;-) For a regular grid, potentially with some small overlap, it
should be easier.

Sorry that I can't help more.

Andreas