[Qgis-user] adding txt as shp

Stefan Kiefer st_kiefer at web.de
Tue Aug 31 22:37:16 PDT 2010

Hello John,
what I did is to replace the spaces in between by one single tablulator
char. When you apply the plugin you used \t as delimiter which is the
representation of a tabulator char. Whatsoever I suggest to generate
text files with columns delimitedt with tabulator chars instead of
spaces. For me it looked like the file you use has fixed column size.
Therefore it has no distinct number of spaces in between the columns.
Anyway it is more preferable to have only one single delimiter char
instead for lets say two or four spaces, this might even confuse the
plugin and you maybe get a lot of columns instead of three.
If you can not influence the kind of delimiter I suggest you import the
textfile in Vim (or whatever plain text editor of your choice) and
replace the clustered spaces by one single tabulator. you can do that
either by replacing in the first run two spaces by one, do this for
three times. Then you can be sure there is only one single space in
between the columns. Then replace all spaces by tabulator chars "\t"
In Vim you can do that in one single step by using a regular expression.
Simply load the file in Vim. Then type the following and confirm with
return

then type and confirm with return

:x

Vim closes and your file consists of only tabulator chars instead of
spaces. In other editors the regex might be slightly different (e.g. no
\ before + or \s instead of a space before \+ you have to validate this
in the manual)