[Qgis-user] google wms

Mike Toews mwtoews at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 07:36:22 PST 2010

On 7 February 2010 23:31, Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com> wrote:
> I think we figured out previously that it is now acceptable under the
> license, but I think you need to have an api key.

Using Google tiles is only acceptable for websites, and it is rather
challenging to get the tiles in a non-slippy-map client (such as an
application or other service). I recall attempting to use a python
application to download a series of tiles and stitch them together
only to find my IP address blocked for 24 hours by Google's image
servers (!)

Manifold GIS used to have the abilities to bring in Google imagery up
until a year ago, when they plugged up that ability. When the non-free
data is brought into an application, it is too tempting for the users
to reproduce and publish (i.e., print) their data from a GIS, which is
in violation of the permissions, since all Google branding is lost. It
is more difficult to reproduce and publish the content in a website
mashup, which is why that method is allowed on terms of fair use.

Details on what can or cannot be done with Google's map data is here:
http://www.google.com/permissions/geoguidelines.html

-Mike