[Qgis-user] Re: Qgis-user Digest, Vol 48, Issue 36

Carlo A. Bertelli (Charta s.r.l.) bertelli at charta.acme.com
Thu Feb 18 09:38:01 PST 2010

Hello Darren, Maxim and List,
I use the georeferencer extensively for historical maps and I
appreciate very much the new plugin.
I also think this mail exchange is very useful; I would ask even more
for the georeferencer to be great for historical maps.
To use them in historical GIS, we try to find old buildings or
significant features on ground, usually corner points carry no useful
information.
It would be very beneficial for our work to "see" the reference points
on the map canvas as a sort of temporary layer qnd even to be able to
move the target points instead of the points on the image. To ask
more, it could also be useful to save the (named) GCPS as a layer for
further reference (or "operation"). The idea behind this is that an
old survey or plan could perfectly "fit" a certain area and badly
"fit" another, so we could need switching between two or more
georeferences.
About the seemingly not substantial issue of backgroundm I may suggest
grey as a good background because white may lose the edges of white
maps, black would hide borders of precisely cut ones, grey maps are
usually brown more than grey.
Do I ask too much?
TIA
Carlo