[Qgis-user] proj file and QGIS

"António M. Rodrigues" amrodrigues at fcsh.unl.pt
Mon Feb 22 04:46:04 PST 2010

Hi,

If I am not mistaken (and this is only from experience), the PROJ does
not "need" to have the correct infromation about the projection /
coordinate system for a specific shapefile to be displayed correctly

When this happens, the solution I've used is to trash the PROJ.
Afeter, I use "vector->Data Management Tools->Define current
projection" and tell QGIS what the projection is.

This is necessary when exporting to new projection. Otherwise QGIS
will (naturally) make a mess of things.

Only from intuition, I would say QGIS cannot guess the projection of a
given shapefile. It just reads coordinates of objects. In theory we
can call and projection whatever we want and define it how we wish.

Hope this helps,
António