[Qgis-user] querying a shapefile

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Mon Jan 11 12:25:06 PST 2010

Nik Go wrote:
> Hello. Happy new year to all.
>
> I have a shapefile of cities, is it possible to do the following in QGIS
>
>     * determine and visually display all cities with attribute "x" or "y"

Yes, in version 1.4 we now have, on the Layer->Properties->General tab a
"Subset" windows and "Query builder" button to create a subset of the
vector layer by attribute column.

For the other two questions I don't know of a simple answer in QGIS. The
GRASS module "v.to.db option=sides" would do it, but you'd need a
topologically correct vector layer.