[Qgis-user] Disappearing points and polygons

Declan Troy declan.troy at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 11:30:53 PST 2010

I have simple project of 3 layers:

1)  shapefile of ice distribution from the National Ice Center (US)
in a Polar Stereographic CRS

2) A point layer of bird locations imported as delimited text (lat-
long WGS84), and

3) A polygon layer in MapInfo tab format (lat-long WGS84) to fill in
land masses.

All these show up nicely aligned with 'on the fly' CRS transformation.

My problem is as I change the zoom or pan the display to alter the
portion of the region displayed various points bird locations) appear
or become invisible. Similarly  polygons in the land layer appear and
disappear when they should be visible. I don't think there are any
such quirks on the base (ice) layer. Very challenging to be sure all
is displayed within the bounds I want to look at.

This is on OS X using either 1.3 on Tiger or 1.4 Snow Leopard.

Is this just a quirk of 'on the fly' transformations or is there
something simple I can do to be sure all my data is being displayed ?

Thanks, Declan