[Qgis-user] GRASS plugin (GISBASE) - MAC OS

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Fri Jan 15 13:16:59 PST 2010

On Jan 15, 2010, at 2:52 PM, António M. Rodrigues wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having problems trying to run the GRASS plugin from within QGIS1.4.
>
> I get the message:
>
> "QGIS couldn't find your GRASS installation.
> Would you like to specify path (GISBASE) to your GRASS installation?"
>
> After choosing yes, I attempted to:
> 	-Navigate to /Applications/GRASS-6.4.app, and select this path as "GRASS installation path
> (GISBASE)
> 	-Navigate to /Applications/GRASS-6.4.app/Contents, and select this path as "GRASS installation
> path (GISBASE)
> 	-Navigate to /Applications/GRASS-6.4.app/Contents/Resources, and select this path as "GRASS
> installation path (GISBASE)

The correct path is now /Applications/GRASS-6.4.app/Contents/MacOS (it used to be Resources).

But, with a fresh Qgis prefs, it should just work, so there may be another framework version incompatibility somewhere.  Very possibly GRASS 6.4 has a problem with a *newer* framework version - it's been out for a while and there have been a couple framework updates that might affect GRASS, and I haven't noticed because I run GRASS 6.5 outside of Qgis for my work.

... like PROJ 4.7 ;)  GRASS 6.4 links to PROJ 4.6, while starting with PROJ 4.7 I name the version just "4", to avoid problems just like this.  The Apple installer is a little too smart, and sees that you are updating PROJ, so PROJ 4.7 deleted 4.6.

I've been meaning to rebuild GRASS 6.4 for this and other framework updates, but also an RC6 seems so close that I don't want to waste effort...

Quick fix, in a Terminal:

sudo ln 4 /Library/Frameworks/PROJ.framework/Versions/4.6

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"I ache, therefore I am.  Or in my case - I am, therefore I ache."

- Marvin