[Qgis-user] Hello

paul ferro geotrek_ at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 15 13:17:50 PST 2010

Hi Pierre or anyone else that has success with connecting to a GPS with QGIS through the GPS plugin.

I am trying to connect a Garmin GPS that has a com to usb converter cable.  Other apps. read my GPS from COM3, and work just fine.

I just installed QGIS 1.4, and GPS babel is installed, and I have set the PATH under environmental variables so that QGIS will see gpsbabel.  But whenever I go to download from my GPS, I either get the message that 'GPS Babel would not start', or 'this layer could not be added to the map'

What is the code that you are using for your GPS unit under devices in the GPS Device Editor?
The default for Garmin under the waypoint command is %gpsbabel -w -i garmin -o gpx "%in" "%out"
I've also tried %babel -w -i garmin -f COM: -o gpx -F gps.gpx  but have not had luck.

Thanks,

Paul