[Qgis-user] QGIS performance on large project

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sat Jan 23 09:37:45 PST 2010

The slow load problem is more of a general raster problem.  I found that it affected not only loading a project, but also adding rasters and turning on/off raster layers.  Display and zooming were not affected.

Jasper shouldn't affect it that much, as compared to ECW or Kakadu.  There are optimizations in ECW and Kakadu that will affect speed some.

I don't think Qgis (via GDAL) uses Arc's rrd files.  It shouldn't need to as JP2 images have builtin pyramids.

To check if Qgis (GDAL) is using jasper or another JP2 driver, in a Terminal:

gdalinfo --formats

Check if JP2ECW or Jasper (or kakadu) is present.  The MrSID driver can also read JP2, in its default configuration (it's a variant of kakadu), but I disable that in MrSID GDAL plugin for OSX so it doesn't accidentally override ECW or the real Kakadu.