[Qgis-user] Smooth track animations

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 02:02:19 PST 2010

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 9:06 PM, Rowe, Thomas <rowet at ca.metsci.com> wrote:
> I’m trying to make a tool that produces animations where a large number of
> icons *smoothly* travel along waypoint paths on a map.  Is QGIS appropriate
> for this?  Any pointers into the documentation?  If not can anyone point me
> to a good tool?

Hi Thomas,

yes, it shouldn't be a problem to do animations within QGIS. Map
canvas is based on Qt Graphics View framework [1], which is very
powerful for such work. See map canvas [2] documentation. It might
find some tutorials handy [3]. They're using c++ but they're also
available in Python [4].

[1] http://doc.trolltech.com/4.6/graphicsview.html
[2] http://doc.qgis.org/head/classQgsMapCanvas.html
[3] http://blog.qgis.org/taxonomy/term/1