[Qgis-user] Serious bug returns to Qgis revision 13878

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Tue Jul 6 15:12:05 PDT 2010

P.S. using GDAL 1.7.2.

On Jul 6, 2010, at 10:17 AM, William Kyngesburye wrote:

> For release, maybe disble it, and work on a solution for 1.6?
>
> A note about the raster format - I wonder if it only affects rasters without overviews.  For the vrts in Greg's test, though the files referenced in the vrts are JP2s, does a vrt inherit the overviews?  I did a test with a single 1 GiB JP2 and it generates the legend icon nearly instantaneously.  A 1.3 GiB tiff without overviews takes a long time, yet the same with overviews is fast.  A 200MiB tiff without overviews has a noticable delay, but it's not horrible.
>
> Though, Greg's test vrts are quite small, just 14MiB across 4 vrts.  Maybe there's something else with a vrt that slows down the legend generation?  Zooming and panning are not affected.
>
> On Jul 6, 2010, at 4:21 AM, Marco Hugentobler wrote:
>
>>> (a raster scaled down to 16x16 pixels usually
>>> doesn't provide a good overview)
>>
>> I made a little self-test here and it was quite easy to distinguish different
>> topographic map sheets by their legend icons (even if they have exactly the
>> same color schema).
>>
>> Regards,
>> Marco
>>
>> Am Dienstag, 6. Juli 2010, um 10.26:10 schrieb Martin Dobias:
>>> Hi

>>> in my opinion, we could actually remove this feature. I don't find it
>>> particularly useful (a raster scaled down to 16x16 pixels usually
>>> doesn't provide a good overview), it adds additional overhead when the
>>> raster layer is loaded and further complicates the complex raster
>>> code. Another argument could be that vector layer also don't have an
>>> icon containing the preview.
>>>
>>> I'm just afraid of creating too many configurable options that barely
>>> anyone will understand their purpose.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Martin

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

First Pogril: Why is life like sticking your head in a bucket filled with hyena offal?
Second Pogril: I don't know.  Why IS life like sticking your head in a bucket filled with hyena offal?
First Pogril: I don't know either.  Wretched, isn't it?

-HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy