[Qgis-user] QGIS WEB Presence Capability

pcreso at pcreso.com pcreso at pcreso.com
Wed Mar 3 22:36:07 PST 2010

Hi Rudy,

QGIS does not, but QGIS is only one application of the OSGEO stack, and other applications in this suite can do this.

http://www.osgeo.org

For example, you have map data in shapefiles or PostGIS databases

You can use Geoserver or Mapserver (or a few other FOSS or expensive programs) to read these data sources & provide them via OGC web services such as WMS & WFS.

You can connect to such web services with QGIS (WMS natively & WFS via a plugin) to view the data.

You can use mapserver scripts, or javascript tools such as OpenLayers or GeoMoose to provide web clients to display these data.

One ESRI web mapping developer I have worked with used mapserver & Openlayers for one application he was building. He said the development environment was very primitive compared with ESRI- hand written mapfiles, etc. However he also said it took about 1/3 the time to implement it than it would have taken with ESRI tools, & it worked pretty much first go with no problems to debug & fix.

So simple, inelegant but robust & effective :-)

Tyler Mitchell's book on mapserver & related tools is a very good introduction. You can have a system with basic functionality up & running on Windows or Linux in about 10 minutes.

HTH,

  Brent Wood