[Qgis-user] contours plugin

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Fri Mar 5 02:23:41 PST 2010

On 03/05/2010 11:29 AM, deepika acharya wrote:
> Hello
>
> Yes i have GDALTools plugin in QGIS 1.2.0 Daphnis but these tools are
> not working or not show any error.
>
> so How can Export Raster data  from .jpg to Geo tiff  format by GDAL
> translate tool in QGIS1.2.0 Daphnis or other versions  ?

First, may I suggest you keep these questions on the mail list. That way
others can pitch in and help, and the answers are archived for future users.

Second, you probably want to upgrade to QGIS 1.4. Many improvements and
fewer bugs...

Now to your question: In the GDALTools plugin there's an option (under
the Raster menu) called Translate. Here you choose the source jpeg file
and the target filename. For this to work properly you must know if the
original is projected in some coordinate system.  You can choose in the
GUI window which source CRS the jpeg is in.
You can do the same from the command line with:
gdal_translate -of GTiff -a_srs <Original Coord System> <original.jpg>
<final.tif>

HTH

> thanks !
>  Regard