[Qgis-user] Re: [Qgis-developer] announcing DPSimplify

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Fri Mar 5 02:39:31 PST 2010

Giovanni Manghi wrote:
> But it actually works?
> I tested it on a small line vector and in the best case qgis freezes.
>
> If the project is in wgs84 and the vector is not I get a crash (qgis
> 1.4, under linux)

I'm using trunk on linux here. And yes, it is working.

And trying both plugins on the same (multipolygon)  project, I see some
differences and issues ...
- DPSimplify actually simplifies your data on the fly, and gives you the
option to either save it to a new shapefile or not (nice !)
- DPSimplify also reports the number of vertices reduced, which gives
you the option to lower or higher your tolerance (nice)
- DPSimplify seems to  work only with line and polygons data (not multi*
)? (at first there was no layer in the dropdown, untill I added a (non
multi)polygon layer)
- DPSimplify the about-box raises an python exception here

Don't know when you add layers with a different projection to a map
(like you do: the plugin has to do the 'on the fly projection' itself I
think... this is a though case anyway)...

And to make myself clear: I do not want to discourage Alexander to
develop the plugin!! Because if I'm correct, the current vector-menu
stuff is actually cpp ported from the former python plugin as well.
I think the python plugins are a nice example and way for prototyping
stuff to either (but not nessecarily) being ported to trunk, and
hopefully raise interest for people to add functionality to qgis.

Regards,

Richard