[Qgis-user] gdal tools & osgeo4w

Giovanni Manghi giovanni.manghi at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 08:37:12 PST 2010

Hi,

> Verify that %OSGEO4W_ROOT%\apps\gdal-16\pymod is in your PYTHONPATH.  If you
> use the batch file from the package to start qgis, that should already be set
> as it sources gdal16.bat

it seems everything is in place.

For what I seen, it seems that the tools stopped to work in the past
days after I updated the packages of my osgeo4w installation. Doing a
fresh installation on other pcs actually does not seems to give better
results, and depending on the windows version the errors are (examples):

Under XP there are modules (clip, merge) that return the following

---------------
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\osgeo4w\apps\gdal-16\bin\gdal_merge.py", line 31, in
import gdal
ImportError: No module named gdal
---------------

Under Seven there are modules that throw this

---------------
"The process crashed some time after starting successfully."
---------------

while others give

---------------
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\Nuno\.qgis\python\plugins\GdalTools\tools\doMerge.py",
line 50, in fillInputFilesEdit
    (self.xmax, self.ymax, self.xmin, self.ymin) = self.getExtent()
  File "C:\Users\Nuno\.qgis\python\plugins\GdalTools\tools\doMerge.py",
line 119, in getExtent
    res = rect1.intersect( rect2 )
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'intersect'

Python version:
2.5.2 (r252:60911, Feb 21 2008, 13:11:45) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)]
---------------

I have also tested a Vista machine and with few modules, when adding
input files, it returns a

"gdalinfo.exe has stopped working"

followed by

---------------
An error has occured while executing Python code:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\gio\.qgis\python\plugins\GdalTools\tools\doMerge.py",
line 50, in fillInputFilesEdit
    (self.xmax, self.ymax, self.xmin, self.ymin) = self.getExtent()
  File "C:\Users\gio\.qgis\python\plugins\GdalTools\tools\doMerge.py",
line 119, in getExtent
    res = rect1.intersect( rect2 )
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'intersect'
---------------

nevertheless you can continue but just to get

---------------
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\OSGeo4W\apps\gdal-16\bin\gdal_merge.py", line 31, in
import gdal
ImportError: No module named gdal

other tools give (after the "crash")

"The process crashed some time after starting successfully."

cheers

-- Giovanni --