AW: [Qgis-user] autosave plugin

Giovanni Manghi giovanni.manghi at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 13:58:35 PDT 2010

Hi,

> The problem with saving on a time interval is that it doesn't make any
> sense unless combined with some type of change detection. What's the
> point in using cpu to keep a timer going and saving if someone just left
> QGIS open when they went to lunch.
>
> At best it makes sense on certain actions to check the time maybe
> against a saved value and compare and if delta greater than x specified
> by user do a save.

you got a point,
nevertheless I would also to point that:

a) qgis doesn't save any geographic data, saving a project takes
virtually no time, so I don't see what difference it makes if such a
tool saves on and on an idle project.

b) unfortunately qgis still crashes sometimes with no apparent reason
(seg fault) and in a not replicable way (if is replicable I always file
a ticket). Happened to me today a couple of times, and it will happen
again also to other people I know they use qgis on regular basis.

A autosave tool based on a timer would be very useful indeed. For now.

> Note Autosave based on a timer has been removed from things like Office
> for similar reasons.

not from OpenOffice :)

cheers

-- Giovanni --