[Qgis-user] Edit UI

John C. Tull jctull at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 08:28:17 PDT 2010

Mike and others,

There have been some useful posts recently about leveraging the power of postgis in qgis. What would be great is if someone or several people with postgis skills could produce some tutorials on how postgis can be used in qgis (beyond simply having a postgis database). Unfortunately, even a useful postgis query in the email list without a real-world example of implementation can be very intimidating or confusing for most users as sql is a challenge to the uninitiated. Ideally, a series of video or well-imaged written tutorials can be made that will walk people through some useful postgis capabilities.

Examples that would be helpful include setting up the triggers/views/functions that you alluded to below, performing intersections or other geometry calculations that can generate new postgis tables, adding area or length calculations to existing polygons in an auto-update field (is that possible?), etc.

Having the visual tutorials for leveraging the power of postgis in qgis would be a tremendous boon to the qgis community, and it would help set qgis apart from other gis software. Many people would benefit from this, and I include myself as one of the potential beneficiaries.

I hope that you or others may be able to rise to this qgis community need. If anyone knows of existing postgis/qgis tutorials, let's get a list in the wiki so people can find them easily.

Regards,
John