[Qgis-user] legend for rasters

Benoit de Cabissole benoit at exigesa.com
Mon Mar 22 01:07:48 PDT 2010

Hi Allessandro,

On Monday, 22 March 2010 03:12, alessandro.sarretta at inwind.it Wrote:
> Hi all,
> as most of you know, during these days the QGIS hackfest is
> running, with a
> lot of interesting improvements.
> It seems that one of the main (in my opinion) enhancements needed
> still will
> remain, and this is the lack of a legend for raster layers both
> in the Map
> Legend and in the Map Composer.
> Without it I can't create in QGIS any useful map containing raster layers
> because I can't describe the meaning of the colours in the map.
> For vector
> layer QGIS has a good ability to manage meaningful legends, for
> rasters not...
> I'm not a programmer but I'd like to help the development of
> QGIS. So I'd like
> to ask to developers if someone can take charge of the
> development of this
> functionality, and to QGIS users if someone of you are interested
> to have it in
> the next release. If the answer is yes for both the questions, I
> want to start
> putting, instead of my 2 cents, my minimum 50€, maximum 100€.
> Some preliminary
> investigations suggest (am I wrong?) that something around 1000€ could be
> enough to reach the goal. Does anybody else want to join me in
> this small/big
> effort?
> Is there a good way to promote and make efficient these type of "rewards"?
> Thank you!
> Ale

Not being a C++ nor a Python programmer I've hovewer developped just that in VisualBasic (only for Win users, sorry!)

Basically my routine takes a qml file (in which a colour ramp has been saved), parse it and after few options output a bmp image of the colour scale bar, either horizontal or vertical. This image can then be imported in the Composer (not the Layer).

I will more than gladly give the code to a QGIS developper to convert to C++/Python and include in trunk or plugin.
Anyone interested?

This brings me to the question: Can QGIS run external executables? Can the Python console do it (I suppose it has a kind of shell() function)?

Cheers,
Benoit