[Qgis-user] WMS through https and basic auth

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Sun May 9 02:09:28 PDT 2010

Hi,

Our WMS server is using http basic authentication and it can only be accessed
through https.  I triet to use it with QGIs 1.5.0 (from OSGeo4W) but it leads
only to this error message:

"Could not understand the response.  The wms provider said:
Download of capabilities failed: Unknown protocol specified"

Next I tried the connection by installing InteProxy on my own computer.  Then
QGis is communicating fist with InteProxy that is acting like server at
http://localhost.  This way QGis can read the GetCapabilities from our WMS and I
can even add a WMS layer on a map.  However, I can see from the WMS logs that no
requests are coming from QGis.  I suppose this is because QGis in not sending
GetMap to the Inteproxy address at localhost but to the URL advertised in
GetCapabilities of our server.  That is like https://our.wms_server.fi...
This is naturally correct behaviour according to WMS standard, but in case of
proxy it does not work.

Questions:
1. Is QGis 1.5.0 supposed to support https communication on Windows?
2. When OpenJUMP makes connection to WMS service it is checking first if the
base URLs for GetCapabilities and GetMap are the same. If they are not, it asks
the user select which one to use, the same base URL as used for GetCapabilities
or the one captured from the GetCapabilities document. This way it is possible
to use for example InteProxy for taking care of https communication and
authentication (even OpenJUMP can do it without proxy as well).  This feature
has been usuful for me even with WMS services which are advertising wrong GetMap
URL because very often in these cases the GetCapabilities URL works also for
GetMap. What do QGis developers think, would this be a useful feature to have
also in QGis?

-Jukka Rahkonen-