[Qgis-user] GPS data download in OSX

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Wed May 12 06:48:34 PDT 2010

Well, I can't locate that GPS at work.  But, with just the USB-serial adaptor conneted, Qgis doesn't show the serial port as available.

My guess is that Qgis uses some Qt routines to check for serial and USB ports, and maybe that doesn't work for USB-serial adaptors.  gpsbabel should work fine when you're ready to have Qgis import from the GPS, since it does its own thing more directly with the serial ports.

When I tried it years ago, I was testing gpsbabel only (which worked), not Qgis, so I don't know if Qgis ever worked.

On May 11, 2010, at 9:27 AM, William Kyngesburye wrote:

> Ouch, I didn't get a chance to test mine, and completely forgot about it.  Maybe today...
>
> On May 11, 2010, at 8:26 AM, Giovanni Manghi wrote:
>
>> Is this related?
>>
>> https://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/ticket/1170
>>
>> cheers
>>
>> -- Giovanni --
>>

>> On Tue, 2010-05-11 at 14:58 +0200, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
>>> Hi all.
>>> Sorry about my ignorance: I want to download data from a Garmin GPS on OSX.
>>> The unit is branched through a serial-USB adapter. Does anybody have
>>> experience on this?
>>> All the best, and thanks.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"The beast is actively interested only in now, and, as it is always now and always shall be, there is an eternity of time for the accomplishment of objects."

- the wisdom of Tarzan