[Qgis-user] GPS CRS

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed May 12 10:43:24 PDT 2010

Arthur Nanni wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've problems whem I try download waypoints from Garmin GPS with GPS plugin
> in the same CRS of the Garmin setup.
>
> The Garmin was WGS84 - UTM
> In the QGIS canvas the downloaded points appears in Lat/Long decimal degree.
>
> How I get this points in the original CRS of Garmin?
>
> Like an alternative I try change the CRS in the layer (Lat/Long DD) with
> ftools option, but with no success.
>
> Some idea?
>
> Thanks in advance.

The original CRS of the Garmin is WGS 84 Lat/Long. The fact that you saw
UTM on the screen is an on the fly conversion on the GPS. Most Garmins
for many years have only stored Lat/Long in it's actual data.

You will need to download the data and reproject(in ftools) it to the
UTM zone you are working in.

Alex