[Qgis-user] Re: off topic, wgs 84 datum

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Thu Nov 4 06:54:53 PDT 2010

In general terms, datums are well-defined mathematical constructs to
describe a location, ultimately with respect the centroid of mass of a
planet (like Earth, in this case). There are exceptions. While I listed
Pulkovo and NAD27, both of these were subjective datums where a fair bit
of inference went into their original adjustment. As a result, getting
good long-term reproducability is problematic.

Newer datums such as WGS ITRF and NAD83 (and subsequent) are based on
objective observational criteria and are adjusted for, among other
things tectonic drift, as well as adjustments for significant plate
movement as a result of, e.g., earthquake (the Taiwan seismic event of
1999). Similarly, routine reobservation and adjustment allows refinement
of the data. In the US, common datum information are archived officially
at the National Geodetic Survey and generally are publicly available
(although the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency, if memory serves,
is the responsible agency for WGS. In the UK, the Ordinance Survey are
the responsible agency.

For truly long-term experiments, I prefer to use ITRF from the IERS:
http://www.iers.org/IERS/EN/DataProducts/ITRF/itrf.html?__nnn=true

gerry

Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.862.3983