[Qgis-user] Archaeological maps from qGIS and Inkscape

Craig Leat craig.leat at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 00:19:44 PST 2010

Hi Anna,

Glad to hear you are successfully making maps with Inkscape. I often
need to use a high resolution bitmap as a backdrop and unfortunately
Inkscape runs into memory problems. I opened a bug report [1] on the
Inkscape bug tracker 19 months ago and the bug report is still open.

Another approach I tried was to design the annotations and decorations
in Inkscape and then to pull the SVG into the QGIS Map Composer.
Besides this approach being a little clumsy the main issue was a QT
bug involving multi-line text in the SVG. I don't remember if this bug
was reported upstream to Nokia and my interest dwindled. Does anyone
know if QT's handling of multi-line text in a SVG has improved? I'll
need to update my system before testing again.

Regards,

Craig

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/367779