sample dataset including plug-ins (=> was: Re: [Qgis-user] Announcing "Time Manager" Plugin v 0.1)

Volker Fröhlich volker27 at gmx.at
Tue Oct 5 13:26:45 PDT 2010

Hello!

This sounds very interesting, but the devil is in the details, I suppose. For
example, you can't just "deliver" a PostGIS database. This needs further
explaination and this explaination may vary for different platforms. So the
experience will definitly not be like what you described.

As far as I know, there is some kind of demonstrational show for R modules.
Maybe you can script something like that. This would bear an advantage, as it
could serve as an example for users interested in scripting.

I also think it burdens the plugin developers, since they have to take care of
an up-to-date demonstrational dataset as well. You might have to inform the
user to download new versions of the sample-datasets, as the functionality of
a plugin changes or develops. I therefore think it won't work as a package on
most Linux distributions, since most maintainers wouldn't update it as often
as necessary.

Volker