Fwd: [Qgis-user] QGIS "Near"

Zoran Jankovic zoran.jankovic at zisis.hr
Tue Oct 19 03:03:23 PDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 9:55 AM, Andreas Neumann <a.neumann at carto.net>wrote:

> Hi Zoran,
>
> I believe the infrastructure of what you want is already wihtin the
> selection and identify tools in QGIS. Isn't this almost implemented in the
> current identify tool?

It sort of is, but not completely. Identify will ID all the features within
certain radios (percentage of extent), but it will ID _all_ of the features
within this radius. I only need the nearest, no matter how far away... Let
us say it is, for simplicity, within current extent.

> The current identify tool selects "near" or "close by" features within a
> certain tolerance. This tolerance can be set in "Options" --> "Map tools"
> "search radius". I believe it currently only effects the identify tool. Do
> you want the same tolerance also be used for the click-selection tool?

Look above. This could be useful, but it is not the functionality I'm
currently looking after.

> Are you also aware that in QGIS 1.6 there are new selection tools?
>
> * by click
> * by rectangle
> * by polygon
> * by freehand
> * by radius

Yup, these are great, but they all select _multiple_ features within radius,
rectangle, etc.

> Maybe this also helps to address your needs?
>
> Of course you can combine it with previous selections by pressing the ctrl
> key.

BR,

---
Zoran Jankovic
ZIS-Izrada softvera i savjetovanje / ZIS - Software Development and
Consulting

http://www.zisis.hr

M: 00 385 98 682 902
T:  00 385 44 683 374