[Qgis-user] opening HDF5 files in Qgis

Ricardo Filipe Soares Garcia da ricardo.garcia.silva at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 11:21:32 PDT 2010

Hi all

I am trying to open an HDF5 file distributed by LSASAF [1].

I can inspect the file with gdalinfo and I can open it just fine in GRASS.
I'd like to be able to open the file in Qgis as well. The GDAL syntax
for accessing the subdatasets contained in HDF5 files [2] is:

HDF5:"path_of_the_file":subdataset_name

In Qgis, I am trying:
- select the 'Add Raster Layer' button and choose the HDF5 file
- before accepting the dialogue, change the file path to the
HDF5:"file_path":dataset_name format

Qgis will not be able to read the file and throws this error:

"/home/ricardo/Documents/IM/reprojeccoes_hdf5/dados/HDF5_MTSAT1_GEOLAND2_LST_MTSAT-Disk_201002010300.h5
is not a supported raster data source
This raster file has no bands and is invalid as a raster layer."

This procedure works in GRASS.
So, (how) can I open an HDF5 file in Qgis?
Please note that I am not interested (at this time) in converting the
file to GeoTiff or another more standard format. I just want a tool
that will allow me to quickly inspect these files.

The file I want to open can be downloaded at [3]

You can use "gdalinfo filename" to inspect the file and get the names
of the subdataset(s) and after that use gdalinfo again with the
special HDF5 syntax to inspect each subdataset. For this particular
file I am interested in the "//LST" dataset.

Thanks for your help

[1] - http://landsaf.meteo.pt/
[2] - http://www.gdal.org/frmt_hdf5.html
[3] - http://ubuntuone.com/p/GF0/