[Qgis-user] Projection of Shapefile export

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Thu Sep 16 06:29:42 PDT 2010

Hi Brett:
(cc-ing the list also)

So if I understand correctly:
1- You have coordinate locations in an ascii file which are already in
AGD84 zone 51 CRS
2- You have imported the locations into QGIS using the Delimited Text plugin
3- You then export to a shapefile. In the export dialog you select EPSG:
20351 for the CRS, but the resulting shapefile has NO projection
information.(i.e. no *.prj is created?)
4- You tried to set projection info with the "Vector->Data Management
Tools->Define Current Projection"
5- Now the new shapefile still does not have CRS ? (i.e. QGIS asks what
CRS when you load the shapefile)

If I've got the picture right, can you check that NO *.prj or *.qpj is
created on the disk with the other elements of the shapefile?  Would you
mind sending me a bit of the ascii file with coord locations so I can
retry?  If this persists, I suggest to report to Carson Farmer, creator
of the fTools plugin. There was a problem in the past with creating a
*.prj file, and I believe it has already been fixed. If not, he needs to
know.

Regards,
Micha